Project spooler error / Blank project when checking out a project
Sawita
2004-12-22 08:43:02 UTC
Hi

We have been using MS Project 2003 and Project server 2003 for a few weeks,
and have faced the project server spooler problem every few days.
When publishing tasks to project server or accepting task updates, we get
the following errors:
System error, database error and Unknown error on different occasions.
For this we have been using the following workaround:
- Back up the project as a .mpp file
- Delete the project from project server
- Upload the .mpp file and overwrite actuals
The problems re-appeared even after applying SP1 and hotfix 887799. Is there
any other hotfix that needs to be applied?

The other problem I faced today was the following:
When viewing a project in PWA, the tasks are all displayed correctly.
However, when I check out the project to MS project, a blank project is
displayed.

Has anyone else faced this problem before? And how do I download the project
to MS Project?

Thanks
Sawita
omar
2004-12-22 10:13:43 UTC
i'm having the same problems as you are, but i can help you in one thing,
you can open the project in MS Project by clicking the "Build" tab in the
PWA after you've selected the project you want to open, that should open up
the MS Project for you and in it the project you selected.
as for the other problems, i'm still waiting for a solution my self.
Sawita
Matt Stevenson (UK)
2004-12-22 10:45:03 UTC
This sounds a bit wierd.... It's not supposed to do that (obviously)
Are you sure that the plan is empty in MSP, and not just scrolled down the
WBS (CTRL+HOME) showing below the task list - or perhaps you have a filter
applied in a particular view? Try changing views / Filter All Tasks etc.

It the tasks appear in PWA, then they must be in the MSP plan somewhere!

As for the persistent errors, perhaps your database has become corrupt.
Was it ever working without errors?
Is this a new build project server or a 2002 > 2003 migration?
Have you tried your plans in a new build just in a Virtual PC or similar?
Get the same errors?
Sawita
Sawita
2004-12-22 11:23:04 UTC
The plan is empty in MSP and there is no filter applied. Also, this happened
only for one project, the other projects are all fine.

About the other problems, Microsoft has asked us to try out a fresh
installation, so we are in the process of doing that. Once we apply the
workaround I have mentioned, the problem seems to go away for some time, then
it re-appears in the same or another project.
This was a fresh 2003 install, not a migration.

Many people have reported this problem, and there seems to be no definite
solution for this - the hotfix does not seem to work either.
Have you ever come across this, and how long have you been using PS?
Sawita
Matt Stevenson (UK)
2004-12-22 13:13:08 UTC
Hi Sawita,

I'm sorry I 've personally never seen this error before. If it's common I'm
interested to understand this and other common diosyncrasies of MSP & PS2003.
I've been working with this software for about 2 years but am no SME.

Just a very interested fellow PS user.
I'll keep an eye on this thread for more info.....
Sawita
Dave K
2004-12-22 15:27:03 UTC
Hello,

We've been experiencing the SYSTEM ERROR problem also. We had one case
where the error occured only with a certain project on a certain PC. Once
the person logged on to a different PC, the error did not get generated.
Then, we also had an instance where the error would get generated no matter
what PC was being used for that project. The error would occur when
attempting to publish assignments; and sometimes the assignments would show
up on the resource's tasks sheet, and sometimes they didn't. We have
installed SP1 on everything and the latest hotfix that even identifies this
as an issue it fixes, but it didn't seem to work. This problem has been
frustrating, but luckily it hasn't occured on an important project yet.
Sawita
Gary L. Chefetz (MVP)
2004-12-22 18:11:53 UTC
Sawita:

I have seen this happen on unstable systems. Matt's assessment that you're
experiencing data corruption is most likely the case. Of course, this
happens for a reason, and you do need to get to the reason to find a cure.
Certainly, a reinstall is a smart approach, because it would probably burn
more hours to diagnose the problem that to do the rebuild. If this type of
error persists on the reinstall, please post errors that you see generated
in the Server Application Event and Security Logs.
--
Gary L. Chefetz, MVP
"We wrote the books on Project Server"

-
Sawita
Sawita
2004-12-23 10:39:08 UTC
Thanks everyone for your responses. I will let you know how we get on after
the fresh install.

There is another weird problem we have faced. When the projects are
re-uploaded (in order to get rid of the spooler error problem) we have
sometimes found that some time appears against tasks in the future - usually
it is the same time repeated against a particular task for future days in the
month.

Also, we have had cases where time entered against a task has disappeared
after approval.

All these problems are making us wonder whether we should go in for a
different solution!
Gary L. Chefetz (MVP)
2004-12-27 15:22:07 UTC
Sawita:

The type of results you describe are typically predictable when you
understand the behavior of the tool. Perhaps you're not budgeting for, and
obtaining enough expert assistance and training. If you're expecting instant
do-it-yourself results, you may need to adjust your expectations no matter
what tool you choose.

Sawita
2004-12-28 11:43:01 UTC
We did a fresh install of the project server 2003 with SP1 and the latest
hotfix.
I uploaded a test project to the project server. After a few updates when
everything seemed to work fine, now when I try to open the project in MSP
2003 I get this error:
"An exception occurred in the project server. Project server encountered a
problem with this error code: 9573".
It then lets me go ahead after clicking on OK, and everything seems to work
fine.

Has anybody seen this error? What does it signify?

Thanks.
jillemo
2005-01-19 15:17:06 UTC
Sawita,

I've seen the 9573 error message twice in the last few weeks. What each
file has in common is the presence of inactive enterprise resources that for
some reason are appearing as "active" in this plan. The error seems to
start small as a spooler error 0X8C040017 - manager cannot create resource
account. Next thing we have a 9573 on our hands.

My only recourse now is to do the remedial troubleshooting - backup as .mpp,
delete from server and reimport.
Kevin W
2005-01-10 14:57:03 UTC
Hi - we also have this problem with one project (out of 149 in the
database...). It was first noticed just before Xmas. We've been running
Server for over 12 months and applied SP1 in October. The suggestion from
Omar doesn't work for us. All the detail can be seen in PWA, but nothing in
the client. Adding a new task when the project is 'open' in the client
results in a row number of 1. We're going to extract all the data from
different PWA views and then populate a new project.

kjwass*FIFTYTHREE*_AT_hot_NOSPAM_mail_DOT_con